The Castro Cares Leadership Team is a unique community collaborative providing supplemental homeless support and outreach services and uniformed public safety services. These services are dedicated to the Castro, Upper Church and Upper Market Street neighborhoods, (see CBD map) for the exact footprint), and are supplemental to the city’s homeless support services and the work of the San Francisco Police Department. They are funded through a grant from the Office of Economic and Workforce Development (OEWD) and donations from residents and merchants. You can reach these services by calling 415-471-7536. Always call 911 for an emergency.
In early 2021 Castro Cares launched its new Public Safety Initiative. This innovative Castro Cares initiative has three main components that operate within the CBD geographical footprint seven days a week:
- San Francisco Patrol Special Police will provide foot and vehicle patrols by armed officers in uniform, and will have direct cooperation and contact with SFPD. The Patrol Special Police will work overnight Friday and Saturday from 9 p.m.-9 a.m. and Sunday and Monday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Public Safety Ambassadors will offer foot and bicycle patrols by unarmed security guards Tuesday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Foot patrols will be a uniformed presence in the district acting to deter crime, address quality of life issues, and be an extra set of eyes and ears in the neighborhood during the day. They will also provide assurance to visitors, residents and merchants that there is a visible public safety component in the district in close communication with the SFPD, the Healthy Streets Operations Center, and our other city partners.
- Downtown Streets Team (DST) empowers unhoused individuals to be part of the solution. DST Team Members participate in a volunteer work-experience program, Monday – Friday afternoons, beautifying and cleaning the district while receiving basic needs stipends to cover food, hygiene, bills, etc. Additionally, team members receive services to help them achieve full employment and housing. This service is in addition to the Castro CBD’s standard cleaning services which operate across the district 7 days a week from 7 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
The safety and cleaning services can be contacted by calling/texting 415-471-7536.
Patrol Special Police and Public Safety Ambassadors will be a visible uniformed presence on the street to deter crime. Both programs will use the CBD’s SMART system to record their data.
Example of services provided:
- Check-in with merchants
- Well-being checks with the most vulnerable on our street
- Enforcement of MPC No-Trespassing
- Deter negative street behavior
- Assistance and referral to services to those in need
- Collaboration with city departments to resolve street-level issues and concerns
- Hospitality services to visitors
- Respond to calls for service
- Collaboration with Castro CBD Clean Team
Castro Cares Leadership Team
Overseen by the Castro CBD, the Castro Cares Leadership Team is a community collaborative with representation from:
- Castro Community Benefit District
- Castro Community on Patrol
- Castro Merchants
- Duboce Triangle Neighborhood Association
- Eureka Valley Neighborhood Association
- Hartford Street Neighbors
- Most Holy Redeemer Catholic Church
- SF AIDS Foundation
- St. Francis Lutheran Church
View our Resource and Referral Guide brought to you by Castro Cares, the Castro Community Benefit District in collaboration with SFAF and Strut.